Depression and anxiety are very common, affecting millions of Americans. Yeah, we all have a bad day or worry about school occasionally. Depression and anxiety are different because they affect people on a more regular basis. The good news is they are treatable and most people with depression and anxiety live very full lives!
What are symptoms of depression?
- Feeling down
- Irritability, anger, restless or loss of concentration
- Loss of interest in things previously enjoyed
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness or hopelessness
- Change in eating or sleeping habits
- Lack of motivation or energy
- Thoughts of death or suicide
What are symptoms of anxiety?
- Excessive worry
- Problems sleeping
- Muscle tension
- Difficulty concentrating
- Shortness of breath or rapid heart rate
What to do if you are concerned your teenager may have depression or anxiety?
Talk to your teenager.
Look for help! Talk to teachers, school counselors, or doctor.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK